Directory of services
Our multidisciplinary professional staff will provide a radiological diagnostic and therapy service in the most efficient manner, producing high quality images with minimal radiation dose.
SCOPE OF SERVICE
- Oncologic Applications:
- Tumor localization.
- Tumor staging.
- Identify metastatic sites.
- Judge response to therapy.
- Relieve bone pain caused by cancer.
2. Orthopedic Applications:
- Identify occult bone trauma (sports injuries).
- Diagnose osteomyelitis.
- Evaluate arthritic changes and extent.
- Localize sites for biopsy in tumor patients.
- Measure extent of certain tumors.
- Identify bone infarcts in sickle cell disease.
3. Renal Applications:
- Detect urinary tract obstruction.
- Diagnose renovascular hypertension.
- Measure differential renal function.
- Detect renal transplant rejection.
- Detect pyelonephritis.
- Detect renal scars.
4. Cardiac Applications
- Diagnose coronary artery disease.
- Measure effectiveness of bypass surgery.
- Measure effectiveness of therapy for heart failure.
- Select patients for bypass or angioplasty.
- Identify patients at high risk of heart attacks going to major surgery.
- Measure chemotherapy cardiac toxicity.
- Evaluate valvular heart disease.
- Identify shunts and quantify them.
- Diagnose and localize acute heart attacks before enzyme changes.
5. Pulmonary Applications:
- Diagnose pulmonary emboli.
- Quantify lung ventilation and perfusion.
6. Neurologic Applications:
- Diagnose stroke.
- Diagnose Alzheimer’s disease.
- Demonstrate various causes of dementia.
- Evaluate patients for carotid surgery.
- Localize seizure foci.
7. Other Applications:
- Diagnose and treat hyperthyroidism (Graves disease).
- Detect acute cholecystitis.
- Detect acute gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Detect testicular torsion.
- Detect occult infections.
PET Clinical Applications
- Staging of the tumor prior to any treatment.
- Assessment of the effect of treatment on the tumor biology.
- Restaging for the possibility of residual tumor after surgical resection, chemotherapy, or radiation.
- Follow-up after remission for the possibility of recurrence.
- Differentiation between radiation necrosis and tumor recurrence.
- Assessment of myocardial viability after myocardial infarct.
- Assessment of myocardial perfusion and metabolism before or after interventional studies such as coronary artery bypass surgery or angioplasty.
Neurology and Psychiatry
- Assessment of cerebral metabolism and localization of the focus of refractory seizures prior to surgical resection.
- Assessment of various neuropsychiatry conditions.
- 4-Asymptomatic patients
- Assessment of indeterminate pulmonary nodules avoiding the need of invasive interventional studies.
Screening for the presence of sub clinical malignancy.
Screening of sub clinical coronary artery disease.
Screening of cerebrovascular disease.
The Department’s work is especially important in cases where there is family history of any of the above diseases. The implementation of the “Executive Screening Programs” at Saad Specialist Hospital has increased a VIP’s referrals medical check-ups, encouraging early diagnosis and treatment.
The installation of the new generation PET/CT Biograph (LSO 64) scanner at Saad Specialist Hospital will further enhance the quality of patient care by allowing a higher sensitivity and image resolution. It will also allow many more patients to be seen per day.