Directory of services
SCOPE OF SERVICE
Newborn Metabolic Screening Program
Metabolic services are an integrated clinical and laboratory based service. Department staff include a consultant metabolic pediatrician, a Diochemistry, consultant and biochemistry scientists. These professionals perform specialized metabolic tests that can detect disorders that include:
- Fatty acid oxidation defects.
- Organic aciduria.
The expanded newborn screening program at Saad Specialist Hospital includes screening for the following disorders:
- Thyroid diseases.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
- Phenylketonuria (PKU).
- Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD).
- Urea cycle defects (UCD).
- Medium chain acyl coenzyme A dehydrogenase deficiency (MCAD).
- Organic acidemia.
- Sickle cell disease.
Newborn Hearing Screening Program
New, state-of-the-art technology is on offer to parents of newborns to screen for hearing problems. This is a problem that can be detected early and an intervention program can be brought to bear that brings a new level of flexibility, intelligence, safety, and convenience to every aspect of early hearing screening detection. The new screening test aims to:
- Establish correct diagnosis early.
- Establish effective therapy early.
- Assist parents to understand and manage the condition.
- Help parents appreciate the value of health promotion; early detection, and disease prevention in future children.